Three years of direct action with poor communities through campus placement: Giving Back to the Society – the 2nd phase of grassroots experience of PGDDM Graduates are placed in designated NGOs, where they are required to work for a minimum period of three years.
The Academy defines a designated development organisation as an organisation which:
- has adequate space for working with poor communities i.e. field based programmesand projects.
- is able to nurture and groom individuals by providing a challenging and professional work environment.
- is able to provide reasonable remuneration to the graduates at par with the best in the sector
As the placement of students in the right kind of organisation is indispensable to motivate, inspire, and retain them in the development sector, the Academy takes utmost care in designating organisations. The placement is facilitated considering the mutual interest of both the graduates and the identified organisations through a process of campus placement. The responsibilities of the graduates in the organisationsplaced involve planning and implementing development programmes for the poor.
After graduating from PDM, next three years
The Academy builds the PDM graduates as Development Professionals, who
- Accept and pursue development career of working with disadvantaged communities towards becoming life time development worker
- Work at the grassroots to enable poor for setting their development agenda and evolved solutions
- Be a change agent for equity and justice with actions involving honesty and integrity
- Accept challenges and strive for excellence
- Understand the field issues and research on the changes to experiment contextualised interventions with mainstream collaboration
- Build experiential knowledge base on development and poverty reduction and strive for its dissemination to different development stakeholders
- After successful completion of two-year PDM in the Academy, they are equipped to take up the career with the designated NGOs through campus placement and commence working with poor in rural/urban slum/tribal contexts.
During three years of the working period requirement, each graduated student is expected to work with poor families and implement different poverty reduction programmes by building communities and promoting people organisations. During this three-year working period, they would shape their vision and mission and enhance their leadership qualities as well as facilitate large scale development processes through policy advocacy efforts.
Previous Placement (2001-2016)
Fifteen batches of PDM graduates were placed in designated development organisations:
- Aga Khan Rural Support Programme (AKRSP), Bihar, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh
- CharutarArogya Mandal, Gujarat
- Child In Need Institute (CINI), West Bengal
- DHAN Foundation, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan, Assam, Jharkhand, Bihar, Maharashtra and Kerala
- Foundation for Ecological Security (FES), Gujarat, Odisha, Karnakata and Andhra Pradesh
- National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), Gujarat, Assam, Maharastra and Uttar Pradesh
- PRATHAM, Rajasthan and New Delhi
- Prayatn, Rajasthan
- Sanghamitra, Tamil Nadu
- Society for Assistance to Children in Difficult Situation (SATHI), Karnataka
- Shramik Bharti, Uttar Pradesh
- South Indian Federation of Fishermen Societies (SIFFS), Kerala
- Srijan, New Delhi
- Tribal Health Initiative (THI), Tamil Nadu
All graduates are involved in direct action with the community in various thematic areas such as microfinance, micro insurance, information technology for the poor, water, rainfed farming, education, health, livelihood promotion, conservation of bio-diversity, environment and natural resource management, panchayati raj and youth.