Many institutions and NGOs are working in the field of disaster risk reduction. The centre will join them in advancing their efforts by:
- Negotiating with complex theories as well as understanding and addressing ground realities.
- Creating knowledge system of time tested and proven development experiences; this enhances its capability to develop and demonstrate widely applicable development models that integrate DRR.
ACEDRR will provide a platform to identify, appreciate and nurture the local knowledge and wisdom in disaster management. It will encourage the practitioners promoting collective action around disaster risk reduction and aid in influencing sate and national policies in tune with the community aspirations and needs.
Additionally, there is dire need for the decision support tools and of people trained to use these tools at all levels. At the participatory planning level, there is the need for people with special skills, attitudes, and aptitudes who can facilitate the planning process. ACEDRR will help nurturing such people and get them linked to the needs.
Above all, ACEDRR is a centre committed to enabling disaster risk reduction.
ACEDRR, as a centre for learning, will:
- Document the good practices and DRR models already in existence and will disseminate this knowledge to a wide audience.
- Experiment with, develop, and disseminate various tools, techniques, and models for DRR.
- Create and maintain a DRR database which will cater to the needs of professionals, institutions, and the community.
- Involve community based research and policy research in the area of disaster risk reduction.