The Advanced Centre for Enabling Disaster Risk Reduction
Sharing knowledge... building skills... encouraging innovations...
The Advanced Centre for Enabling Disaster Risk Reduction (ACEDRR) is a specialised centre established at the Tata-Dhan Academy by DHAN Foundation with the support of Oxfam America, an international relief and development organization, also an affiliate of Oxfam International that works on creating lasting solutions to poverty, hunger, and injustice. The ACEDRR aims at enhancing the knowledge and practice on disaster risk reduction (DRR) by working with peoples' organisations, non-government and government organisations, technical institutes, research and academic institutes and funding agencies.
The Mission of ACEDRR is to provide evidence based knowledge for enabling integration of disaster risk reduction in mainstream development and encourage community driven models and solutions for sustainability of disaster risk reduction.
The Centre aims to become a centre of excellence in the field of disaster risk reduction through:
- Building and sharing knowledge gained from practice.
- Pioneering in research, networking and policy advocacy.
- Encouraging innovations and action.
The principles that are guiding the approach and activities of the centre are:
- Giving primacy for the indigenous knowledge, wisdom and practices of the communities in disaster risk reduction
- Promoting partnership models and community driven approaches for disaster risk reduction
- Advancing the knowledge and practices in disaster risk reduction
- Enabling disaster risk reduction through multi-sectoral, inter-disciplinary, and multi-stakeholder action.
Humaneness encompasses expressions of kindness, compassion and caring, and is instrumental for creating sensitivity to individual and community needs irrespective of caste, class, creed, gender, or ethnicity.
Openness promotes opportunities for learning, sharing, and building linkages across sectors, disciplines, and institutions.
Enabling expands the scope for capacity building, and knowledge sharing through networking, sustaining other initiatives, and building self-reliance and long term sustainability.
Innovation promotes contributing to the knowledge enhancement and enrichment and is instrumental for advancing knowledge.
Excellence integrates efficiency, effectiveness, and quality consciousness into our activities.